extending attention into and retracting attention from an area
where attention is fixed will eventually recover the fixed attention
from that area. Usually the recovery happens abruptly and is accompanied
by one or more of the following results:
A sudden insight into the area
• The appearance of a solution
• The disappearance of the area altogether
• Relief from pain
• Discharge of an upset or an emotional release
• Discharge of a past trauma
• A change in viewpoint (a reordering of importance)
To desensitize sensitive areas by removing fixed attention.
Expected Results: Physical and emotional healing.
Pick any sensitive area from your life. Alternate between the
1) Describe the area in detail until your attention is focused
on it, then
2) Describe something in your surroundings in detail until your
attention is off the area.
3) Repeat this process back and forth until one or more of the
above results occurs.
You should be prepared to run this process for extended
lengths of time. It can open old wounds and should not be abandoned
just because the going gets tough. You are tougher. See it through
Some areas may be so fixed or emotionally charged that you cannot
immediately extend attention to them (unconscious memories) or
retract attention from them (danger). These situations are addressed
and remedied in the creation exercises of Section II Avatar materials.
exercises above are reprinted with permission from ReSurfacing®:
Techniques for Exploring Consciousness by Harry Palmer. ©
1994, 1997 by Harry Palmer. All Rights Reserved. Avatar®,
ReSurfacing® and Stars Edge International® are registered
service marks licensed to Star’s Edge, Inc. For more information: